General Weddings Policies
The couple and 80% of their guests must stay at the same Riu Hotel where the wedding will be performed.
Only 20% of the total group can stay at another hotel chain.
The Wedding couple must respect the arrival date, they have to arrive at two (2) full business days for any type of ceremony, prior the wedding date (not counting weekends, National Holidays and the arrival day).
Weddings are not performed on Sundays, January 1st , December 24th , December 25th & December 31st.
Confirmed weddings canceled within a month of the ceremony date or upon arrival to the hotel will be charged a cancellation fee of $250.00 USD.
External vendors are allowed if they are staying at the Hotel where the wedding will be performed or if they pay a Vendor´s Fee of $200.00 USD per person.
Maximum capacity of the Riu Palace Costa Rica: 100 people.
Documentation for Civil Ceremony:
1. Valid passports for Groom, Bride and Witnesses (mandatory)
*Couple's Birth certificate.
*Divorce Decree (If apply)
*Death certificate (If apply)
All documents must be sent scanned at least 15 days prior the ceremony date by email to:
2. Two (2) witnesses at the ceremony.
Witnesses must KNOW THE COUPLE AND THEY HAVE TO BE OVER 18 YEARS OLD, (ANY RELATIVE OR FRIEND OF THE COUPLE COULD BE A WITNESS), take in consideration that a Civil wedding can not take place in Costa Rica without close witnesses to the family.
The documents that you'll bring to the hotel do not need to be translated into Spanish.
You do not need to apply for a marriage license at your Home Country.
The minister will contact you via email to fill out paper work.
Documentation for Symbolic or Renewal of Vows Ceremony:
The minister will contact you via email to fill out paper work however the wedding has no legal value, this is a normal procedure in Costa Rica for weddings.
IMPORTANT FRENCH CITIZENS: French couples must contact their Consulate in Costa Rica for information regarding the procedure they have to follow, the documents they have to bring & the steps to legalize their Marriage certificate in France.
- For Civil weddings: After the ceremony, the couple will receive a declaration of marriage translated into English; this translation is not legally recognized for international purposes.
The Civil Marriage certificate registration process in Costa Rica takes approximately three (3) to six (6) weeks, after the wedding day. Once is received, we'll send you the marriage certificate issued by the Costa Rican Civil Registry Office, officially translated and Apostilled* (International Legally recognized by the Hague Convention).
Please take in consideration that the Legal Certificate may take up to eight (8) weeks for you to receive it in your home country.
- Important: *Please verify the procedure that you'll have to follow, in order to legalize your marriage in your home country, as sometimes an apostille is required. If you need to Apostille your Marriage Certificate, please be advised that you'll have to cover the amount of this service.*Riu Hotels and Resorts is not responsible of this legal procedure.
- For Religous and Renewal of vows: The couple will receive a Marriage certificate without legal bearing on the wedding day.