General wedding Policies
The couple and 80% of their guests must stay at the same Riu Hotel where the wedding will be performed.
Only 20% of the total group can stay at another hotel chain. Guests staying in other hotels must purchase a day pass to attend the ceremony and dinner reception.
For weddings at Riu Playacar guests staying at a sister hotel do not have to pay a day pass.
If wedding guests for a ceremony to be perform at Riu Playacar are not staying at a sister hotel, they will have to pay a day pass of $65.00 USD per person. *Prices are subject to change without prior notice.
Couples must respect the arrival date, they have to arrive at least two (2) full business days for symbolic/religious ceremony and three (3) full business days for a civil ceremony, prior the wedding date (not counting weekends, National Holidays and the arrival day).
Weddings are not performed on Sundays & National holidays.
Confirmed weddings cancelled within a month of the ceremony date or upon arrival to the hotel will be charged a cancellation fee of $300.00 USD.
Maximum capacity of Riu Playacar: 100 persons.
External vendors are allowed if they pay a Vendor's Fee of $200.00 USD per person.
Restrictions apply in the vendor's allowance & is subject to on site coordinator approval.
**Name Changes: Names in a wedding confirmation submited through a third-party person and/or travel agents are not eligible for any changes. Please contact your assigned Wedding Reservations Executive or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Documentation (Only for Civil/Legal Ceremonies)
- Divorce Decree (Regular Copy)
- Death Certificate of previous partner (Not needed)
- Please notice that we require 4 witnesses that must have at least 18 years old. They will have to arrive three (3) full business days prior the ceremony as well as the couple
- All documents must present the same names or have a legal document that states that the name has been changed.
- Last names must match with the parent's last name.
- The couple have to bring all the documents upon arrival to the on site wedding coordinator. The couple do not have to send anything in advance.
- For Civil weddings: The newlyweds will receive the original marriage certificate at the end of the ceremony in Spanish. When you receive this document in Spanish, you should translate it into English once you are back in your home and verify with your local City Hall the procedure to legalize the marriage certificate in your country.
- Important: We kindly ask you to verify the procedure that you will have to follow in order to legalize your marriage in your country prior you travel to a foreign country, due sometimes an apostille is required. If you need to Apostille your Marriage Certificate, please be advised that you will have to cover the amount of this service. *Riu Hotels & Resorts is not responsible for this legal procedure.
Please be aware that at Playa del Carmen; every event performed on the Beach is subject to a Beach tax of $250.00 USD** this is established by law from Solidaridad Government, the payment of it will be made at front desk in the local currency (MXN, Mexican Pesos) **Price is subject to change year by year.
- Symbolic & Renewal of Vows: The couple will receive a marriage certificate without legal bearing on the wedding date.