Sports and activities
Water parks, tours, zoo and sports, all to make your stay at Hotel Riu Palace Madeira even more interesting and fun. We suggest visits as:
- Madeira Botanical Garden: The park is situated in the village of Santana, and offers several areas, such as the main garden, which features a zone with a variety of plant species native from around the world with the history of each one of them, the history museum that gathers a large collection of objects, several minerals, fossils and birds, and finally the Louro, park that hosts many species of exotic birds and offers a unique view of the area.
- Municipal Garden: The garden also known as Amelia Garden, is located in the center of the capital, Funchal. Besides having a fantastic exotic garden, there is an amphitheater where perform several times a year book fairs, art exhibitions and concerts.
- Monte Palace Tropical Garden: the appeal of this garden, in addition to its own history, is the amount of flowers, exotic plants and the views it offers. Its ancient hotel is now a museum showing visitors a large collection of typical Portuguese tiles reflecting the country's historical moments. You can also enjoy the relaxing atmosphere near the lake you'll find in the garden.
- Thematic park: the thematic park of Madeira offers a large area of garden with different play zones for children, sports facilities, restaurants, shops and more. You can enjoy a boat ride on the lake, know the history of the island and even learning from the exhibitions held in some areas of the park.
- Aquarius: This unique aquarium is located in Porto Moniz and built into the replica of Fort São João Baptista, eighteenth century. It has eleven tanks that recreate almost perfectly the atmosphere of the different fish species from the island of Madeira. Definitely something not to miss if you are traveling as a family.
- Excursions: There are several companies offering various excursions around the island, so everything is now ready for you to enjoy your free time. But if you really seek to know firsthand the different corners of Madeira, we suggest some places such as Ponta do Sol, Funchal, Pico do Arieiro, Santana, Câmara de Lobos, Cape Girão, São Vicente and many more.
Beaches and sports
If you love water sports or extreme sports, Madeira is definitely a good option for you. Its cliffs, waves and ideal climate, are the perfect fit for any sports fan. The island has many tourist routes and unique places to enjoy your stay. We suggest activities such as windsurfing, golf, surfing, kite surfing, deep sea fishing, diving, hiking, biking, fishing, boating, parasailing, kayaking, whales and dolphins watching, and much more. Some beaches stand out more if you like water sports, such as:
- Ponta do Sol
- Ponta Delgada
- Jardín do Mar
- Ribeira da Janela
- Porto Moniz
- Madalena do Mar
- Ponta da Oliveira
- Reis Magos
You can find all sorts of things to do with your family, partner or friends in Madeira. If traveling to this destination to see high-level competitions, or just looking for fun, we propose the following national and international sports competitions:
Tournaments and competitions
- Madeira Wine Rally: This is an international motor competition, and the most popular event on the island, as it draws a crowd of famous drivers from all over the world.
- Madeira World Classic Rally: is undoubtedly one of the most interesting classic car rallies worldwide. For four days you can enjoy old cars and the many curves of the roads on the island.
- Windsurfing European Championships: The event is held in Funchal during the months of February and March, and is organized by the Yacht Club of Funchal. Come and see the professionals in action.
- Surf: the Club Naval de São Vicente and Madeira Surf Club organize different events, as well as offering private lessons to all who want to learn to master the waves on the island.