Beaches in Madeira
If your next holidays are in Madeira, then be prepared to spend some great days at this wonderful destination. Madeira is certainly synonym of calm clear waters, and an ideal climate throughout the year, which will give you wellness, relaxation and all the fun you need on your vacation. Discover beautiful beaches bathed by the Atlantic Ocean, there are small or large, calm, brave, perfect for surfing, or even difficult to access for those seeking adventure and exclusivity. In addition to sightseeing, you will enjoy the best service at the Hotel Riu Palace Madeira.
- For the liveliest we recommend some beaches in tourist areas, with entertainment, fun, nightclubs, bars and restaurants. The beach at Madalena do Mar is ideal as it offers various facilities such as solarium, children's playground and a beach promenade. We also recommend the beaches that are close to the capital, Funchal, due to its proximity to places of interest and cultural tours of the island.
- If you are looking to get away from the hustle and spend a relaxing holiday, try visiting beaches like Praia de Fajã dos Padres, which has access via a panoramic lift and offers a paradise of crystal clear water.
- The adventurers, romantics and nature lovers will find in the Seixal, São Vicente, Ponta Delgada and Porto Moniz, quieter beaches and spectacular natural landscapes. In Praia de Galomar you can enjoy a magnificent sunset over the Atlantic.
Beaches with charm
- The Praia da Fajã do Cabo Girão, is located under the Cape Girão, the most famous cliff in Madeira. It is an isolated beach, which is accessible via the cable car of Rancho, or also by sea. Although it has no services, is a spectacular rocky beach notable for its natural beauty and the quality of its waters.
- Calhau da Lapa is located in Campanario, at the foot of a great cliff. It offers the visitor a clean clear waters, and unique views. You can access it on foot, walking about 30 minutes, and enjoy a quiet and reserved place.
- The beach of Ponta do Sol is situated along a picturesque city known for its great weather and the friendliness of its inhabitants. What you expect there is a small beach of pebbles, ideal for swimming or spend a relaxing day under the sun, with family, friends or partner. This place has good services available to tourists, as lifeguards, bar and some restaurants.
- The beach of Ribeira Brava is located adjacent to the city of the same name, and the whole area has been recently renovated. With the improvement, has cleared a portion of the beach, and has been added black sand, has been set up a wall to protect swimmers from the waves, and has placed at sea a decorative fountain with jets, making this beach even more attractive. You will also find two pools, one for children. Enjoy the sun, or play a game of volleyball with friends or with your family.
Beaches and watersports
- The praia de Calheta is formed by two lovely artificial beaches of imported golden sand from beach of Figueira da Foz in Portugal, and from Morocco. It is considered one of the best beaches on the island of Madeira, and one of the most popular among residents and tourists. As being protected by a long breakwater, the beach is very safe for bathing and offers a wide range of water sports, services, bars and a volleyball area. It also has lifeguards during the summer, and wonderful views.
- The Jardim do Mar beach, is located in the south west of the island, and has three pebble beaches, Portinho, Enseada and Vigia. It has a beautiful landscape and crystal clear waters. It offers excellent conditions for surfing, as it has waves up to eight meters high, the experienced surfer's dream. In this same beach was held the Big Wave Team Challenge competition.
- The Praia de Paul, is located southwest of the island and has two pebble beaches: Porto and Ribeira das Galinhas. Both offer an attractive scenery and fresh, clean waters, ideal for swimming and enjoy a relaxing day in the sun. No services, no lifeguards, but remain one of the favorite beach of those who love the sea, as the waves are ideal for surfing, and is also a good place for fishing.
Its spectacular cliffs and panoramic views over the Atlantic Ocean make Madeira an incomparable destination. Thousands of tourists visit the island looking for unique holiday at this wonderful destination.