The RIU Group's commitment to the environment as regards to saving paper takes the shape of introducing good practices and new programmes.
1. Good practices
The Group's Purchasing Policy ensures the use of recycled or ecological paper in:
· The cards guests use to evaluate the quality of our services (a consumption of almost 2.5 million units per year).
· The envelopes for internal correspondence, which can be reused up to 100 times.
· The toilet rolls in Spanish hotels, which are made from recycled, unbleached paper.
· Paper napkins, coasters and tray covers, which are also made of ecological, unbleached material.
Furthermore, the responsible use of paper is promoted in offices by encouraging employees to print only indispensable documents, use sheets of paper on both sides and reuse documents for notes and messages.
2. Invoice Management Programme
Another initiative designed to reduce paper consumption is the RIU Group's Invoice Management Programme, in which only the most indispensable invoices are printed, which has made hotel management more agile while successfully avoiding the use of more than 625 kilos of paper in 2008 alone and 1,600 kilos of paper since the Programme was launched.
A determining factor in this savings is the introduction of the All Inclusive formula, currently offered at more than 50% of all RIU hotels. Guests do not usually have bills for extras in these hotels, which has led to a drastic drop in printed receipts.