At RIU Hotels, we have created 12 commitments to achieve the company’s responsible social and environmental development. After 68 years in the tourist industry, these commitments define the pillars of our tourist activity, as well as our corporate and personal responsibility towards society and the environment.
We raise awareness among our staff, clients and suppliers of how important small changes are to achieving big results.
At RIU Hotels our aim has always been to achieve full customer satisfaction, because that is the foundation of our business success.
COMMITMENT TO THE COMMUNITY
We are immersed in the communities of the places where we operate, contributing to their improvement and greater well-being through social projects and generating development opportunities.
OUR WORK TEAM
Our key value is people, which is why we prioritise opportunities for the personal and professional development of our staff.
RIGOROUS HEALTH & SAFETY
We believe it is essential to guarantee health and safety in all the processes that make up our service and we do this by protecting customers and staff from possible risks.
Through our adherence to the ECPAT code, we commit to meeting its criteria by implementing actions and best practices geared towards eradicating the problem.
WATER USE AND RECYCLING
We believe in using water responsibly and we are working to minimise its waste and to maximise reuse.
We reduce the amount of waste we produce as much as possible and we manage it responsibly by separating waste that can be recycled and reprocessed.
We work with staff and customers to reduce our energy consumption in terms of both fuel and electricity.
We participate in nature conservation programmes that work to protect endangered species and their habitats.
REDUCTION OF CO2 EMISSIONS
Our goal is to continue reducing the pollution that our activities produce. New energy saving measures help us be more efficient.
We have decided to become certified in the TRAVELIFE system that guarantees the
sustainable management of our hotels and
fulfilment of all these commitments.
In recent years, the company has become a member of various organizations and associations that protect people’s rights. The objective is to create synergies and alliances to forge a tourism sector that is more responsible for people and the environment.
RIU Hotels, COMMITED to the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism
In 2016, RIU Hotels signed the Private Sector Commitment to the UNWTO Global Code of Ethics for Tourism. By signing this important document, the Majorcan hotel chain formally pledges to safeguard a series of ethical principles related to sustainability and responsible development practices in tourism
RIU Hotels suscribe el Código Ético Mundial para el Turismo
RIU Hotels & Resorts ha firmado el ‘Compromiso del Sector Privado con el Código Ético Mundial para el Turismo’, un documento creado por la Organización Mundial del Turismo (OMT) para el compromiso de las empresas con la sostenibilidad y el desarrollo sostenible de las prácticas del turismo. La suscripción a este documento compromete formalmente a la cadena mallorquina a salvaguardar una serie de principios éticos relacionados con la sostenibilidad y el desarrollo responsable de la prá …
(c) 2021 Europa Press. Está expresamente prohibida la redistribución y la redifusión de este contenido sin su previo y expreso consentimiento.
KEYS OF THE UNWTO CODE OF ETHICS
- Respecting human rights, promoting the fight against the exploitation of people and the environment, gender equality, accessibility, as well as promoting respect for local communities and workers’ rights.
- The Global Code of Ethics for Tourism documents the main principles of the UNWTO and is a fundamental frame of reference to guide key players in tourism development in order to achieve responsible and sustainable tourism.
- Adopted in 1999 by the General Assembly of the World Tourism Organization and acknowledged by the United Nations in 2001, it contains a series of principles which seek to maximize tourism’s socio-economic contributions while minimizing its possible negative impacts and promoting hospitality values and the environmental, social and cultural sustainability of countries which receive tourism.
Signatories of the ECPAT Code of Conduct
RIU Hotels has been a member of the ECPAT network for the protection of children and adolescents against sexual exploitation in tourism since 2012, and is committed to fulfilling the requirements in the ECPAT Code of Conduct, known as The Code.
WHAT IS “THE CODE”?
- Corporate ethics policy against the sexual exploitation of children.
- Training employees on this issue in all the countries where we operate.
- Commitment from suppliers to reject the commercial sexual exploitation of children.
- Information for customers through the website.
- Information to key local agents in each destination.
- Application of preventative measures to prevent access to tourism programmes that promote sexual contact with children.
Recognition for RIU in its fight against child sexual exploitation
Within the framework of the International Forum on “The commercial sexual exploitation of children and adolescents in travel and tourism”, ECPAT Mexico acknowledged the work of all of the RIU hotels in Cancun, Costa Mujeres and Playa del Carmen and their commitment to strengthen their implementations of The Code in their hotels.